Saturday, October 18, 2008

driving in Germany.

I have to take driving lessons here in Germany because my Malaysian license is not valid here in Europe, i guess everybody knows why.

To obtain a driving license in Germany requires a hell lot of work. First, you have to take a first aid course which lasted 8 hours, then you need to do a eye test, to make sure your eyesight is perfect for driving, then only you are allow to take theory lessons. As i am a foreigner, and the classes are conducted in German, i was spared, but i need to study/learn on my own, and it is not easy. There are 30 questions, each questions was allocated with different points-depends on the importance of the questions, you cannot loss more than 10 points or more or less 3 questions. It is extremely difficult, but still, it is nothing compare to the practical lesson.

I had my first lesson on 4 weeks ago, i was quite nervous although i have driven for 8 years. There are so many rules to follow, so many things to look out for, i cannot concentrate! I got a really bad headache after the lesson, i couldn't cope with the stress and driving on the other side. First of all, there are many signs on the road which you have to absolutely look out for, whenever you indicate, you have to first look at the rear mirror, then the side mirror, then indicate, before you change lanes or turning a corner, you have to literally turn your head to show the instructor that you are looking out for the blind spot, pedestrian or bicycles. I was always too quick in the city(only allowed 50km/h), and too slow for the Autobahn(highway). My instructor was always shouting 'more speed, more speed, too slow, you need at least 100km/h when you are entering the Autobahn, more speed!!

4 weeks on, spent hundreds of Euros-it is very expensive to obtain a license here in Germany, i will have my test next Thursday. I seriously don't know what to expect. Of course i hope i can pass, but at the same time, i don't want myself to be too confident, because i will be devastated if i fail. Wish me luck, it is the only thing i want NOW.

No comments: