Saturday, June 13, 2009

Frankisches Freiland Musuem

It wasn't a good thursday, the weather was really bad, windy, sunny, rainy, sunny, cloudy, just not a good day for outing, nevertheless i thought it would be better than to stay home and not doing anything, since Simon(my work colleague) highly recommended it, i thought 'why not' and went.

This is a Franconian(this area) open air museum about the cultural heritage of this area, showing the architecture, housing and working life of the rural population in former times. They even moved these farmhouses from other areas, relocate here in Bad Weindsheim, it is indeed very interesting. Not far from where i live, around 60km, but it took me an hour to get there because there wasn't any highway, but small roads, i drove past some little villages, and it was a enjoyable drive.

I actually keyed in the city centre on my TOMTOM(navigation system), i thought since this is quite popular they must have sign post on the way...i was wrong. First, there were some road works, i needed to take a detour, then i was in the city centre, but no sign post telling me how to get to the museum. Luckily i had the address of the tourist info center with me, and i keyed in TOMTOM, but it leads me to an industrial area............?WTF? then i turned back, and started to look for signboards, i knew it must there somewhere, and found this small little signpost where it says you can walk to the museum, cars are not allowed on the small lane. There wasn't any parking space around and i thought, this should be it, and i parked my car in the residential area, and walked.

I have to say it was quite scary-it was like in the middle of nowhere, and it was windy, the trees were making funny noises...i thought 'right, look where you have end up', but i sticked to my guts, and walked for another 10 mins, then i saw a car park, then tourist buses. i knew i will find it! and i did. Here's a pic of the narrow lanes where i thought was scary.


Nevertheless i found it, bought the ticket, got an english guide(i thought there won't be any) and realised there were a lot of old peoples, and a few small young families, and me the only Asian. Anyway, that's not important-i started my trip-the receptionist told me i can spend some good hours there, i walked, and walked and walked. It was really windy, look at my hair.....

They do keep the houses in good condition, and even furnished it and keep the livestock in the buildings! Most of them are timber houses, and covering 6 centuries and exhibited over an area of 100acres, the fields between complexes are farmed, and it was just beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I felt like i was living in the 17th century(incase some of you are not aware, im hooked on historical novels by Philippa Gregory), and it was like putting images into my head-how the people live in former times, surprising enough, it goes well with what i was imagining the whole time. More pics.





I even sat on top of the hill for a brief moment, enjoyed the breeze, saw this old lady walked by, she gave me a smile, i gave her mine, perhaps to acknowledge we were both alone, who knows. There, i didn't know if you can see the bench, i sat there, overlooking the vast landscape.

It was a nice day out, i enjoyed it-worth going. If you want to see more pics see facebook.


2 comments:

rainbow mushroom said...

i don't want pics! i want to go!!!

venie tee said...

it looks so peaceful...